Linton is situated close to Grassington, and is by any
standards one of the most outstanding villages in the
Yorkshire Dales. Architecturally, scenicalIy, and in
terms of its industrial development, it overflows with
interest. Originally attractive to Anglian settlers,
the village pattern originates from those times, with
groups of houses informally set around a large irregular
Linton Beck flows down the middle of the village crossed
by a clapper bridge, a packhorse bridge, a modern road
bridge, stepping-stones and fords, and, near the river,
Little Emily's Bridge.
The stone houses around the green, date mainly from
the 17th- and 18th C.
Dominating the village is the Fountaine Hospital,
founded in 1721 by the will of Richard Fountaine to
provide almshouses for the poor of the parish. Fountaine
made his fortune in London as a coffin maker during
the Great Plague!
Fountaine Hospital, was founded and endowed in 1721
by Richard Fountaine. The Hospital introduced the
Classical style of building, not only to Wharfedale
but to the Dales area in general by money left in
the will of Richard Fountaine
Beyond the main road, and half a mile from the village,
Linton Church serves the communities of Grassington,
Threshfield, Hebden and Linton, each having footpaths
leading to it. The late 12th-century building, with
its squat bell-turret, shows Norman features, but
was largely rebuilt and extended during the 15th century.
The huge mill building, which closed in 1959, dates
from 1902 when it replaced an earlier one used for
spinning worsteds, and after 1840, cotton. Before
then a corn-mill utilised the waters of the Wharfe
above Linton Falls, where the bridge carries the church
path from Grassington across the river.
There was a YMCA; for those ladies of a certain age...but
it has been taken over by some business concern recently...